Monday, July 30, 2012

Eleven Point River Trip, Dedicated to Brandon Roach



    I took a 3 day, 2 night trip to the Eleven Point River on my new kayak last week.  I had Eleven Point River Canoe Co. take my car down river.  It was $35 for the service but the car was there and not broken into!  If you check out there map, I started at Greer Spring on Day One in the morning: http://www.11pointcanoe.com

    The trout fishing on that first stretch was a blue ribbon area and it had recently been stocked.  The fishing was excellent.  I only posted one trout that I caught but I was happy with it.  They ate any bead headed nymph that had rubbery legs, and they liked them big!  Some guy gave me a beaded Prince Nymph, with rubbery legs that was a huge fly and they liked it.  They also ate Stone Fly's with legs.  The night ended well with another local cigar and a little scotch I brought that was oh so awesome underneath a dark night full of stars!

     The second day was a little slower with the fishing.  I found them just one at a time in big holes behind rocks in deep holes.  I did have a little surprise as I came around a corner on the yak and got to close to a fallen tree wad.  I hit it on the right and fell in on the left.  I lost everything in the yak but most of it was in dry bags and boxes that I collected down river.  I had tied my ultra light to the boat.  The only thing that drifted away below the surface was my fly rod!  As I gathered my stuff up floating down river I luckily saw my fly rod sitting in the shallows!  So, I lost nothing- which was a theme for this trip.  A theme I like.  The second night I found a nice bank that had a sand area off in the woods a ways.  I really enjoyed setting my solo tent up on the sand instead of the rocks.  I slept really well that night.  I also brought a little, battery operated fan that offered some nice breeze as the temps were in the upper 90's.

The third day was a pretty wide stretch of the river.  I think I caught one trout but received a surprise at the end.  While fishing with my ultra light at the end of a strong white water section, I caught a small small mouth bass.  I changed to a little rapalla and then caught a large small mouth bass.  I caught a few more hear and there until the last 1/4 mile before the bridge.  There was a riffle section where I caught a bunch of great fighting smallies!  I fished it for another hour pulling somewhere between 6-10 of them. Caught about 3 that shook the hook and I lost them.  Overall, it was a great trip with very few people on the river.  I stayed on my own each night and saw 8-20 people on the river each day.  Most of the time I was on my own.  Great trip!  When you get back we will have to do it together!  Hope things are going well in India!
















1 comment:

  1. Looks like an amazing trip!! privacy and alone time are something Indians don't value so it is difficult to come by. good to hear you collected all your "tupperware" after the spill. Unless your hiding some of the gear it looks like you are learning to pear down a little (I wont even go into the fan)
    Also I miss your cooking. your photos show more meat than I've had in a month. cant wait for another trip sometime January through end of March 2014.

    ReplyDelete