Saturday, September 19, 2009

Niangua Camping Trip












I just finished three days and two night at the Niangua River in Lebanon, Missouri. It was a good trip. Pat, Ben and I stayed at the NRO Camp Ground and rented kayaks through them. It was a good deal. The kayaks were $30 and two nights camping came with it.
The trout fishing was tough! We found one really good section on the river. We caught two trout there and another one a ways down. I believe it was at least a mile and a half from the Bennett Springs entrance into the river. Pat was using an ultra light with a tiny Rapalla and he only caught one small bass. If fishing was the primary focus, than the trip was a bust. Thank goodness there were other benefits! The weather was gorgeous, the river was beautiful and the company was excellent.
In retrospect, I should have begged NRO to drop us off at Bennett. They took us three miles up which, even in kayaks, was a haul to the Bennett area. You won't find any trout up from that area as the water is too warm. I also think I would have fished the sweet spots harder and pushed through everything else without fishing it. The riffles, eddies and deep pools are trout feeding areas- not long stretches of calm water.
Later this week I'm going to post a critique of the Columbia Titanium Daypack. A friend from Bass Pro sent it to me and asked for some feedback. I'll include some pictures and initial observations. For more Niangua pictures check out my facebook feed: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=318568&id=527555092&l=6a7aff7e56

No comments:

Post a Comment