Saturday, September 26, 2009

New Columbia Titanium Backpack






















Above are pictures of the New Columbia Titanium Backpack. I've taken it out a few times on a hike and a bike ride. It's a very impressive day pack and I think I'm going to enjoy many more trips with it. Let me hit it's highs and lows:

Highs

  • Highly accessible. There are convenient pockets on the outside of the bag along with a (dare I say) fanny pack attached to the belt. The zippers on the bottom and top of the bag can hold small objects like a map, compass or snacks and are even accessible with the bag on!
  • Incredibly comfortable. It's a very light bag and the belt takes most of the pressure off of the shoulders.
  • Well compartmentalized. Pockets, pockets, pockets; they are everywhere on the inside and the out. This bag is excellent for day trips where you may have a lot of gadgets, snacks and loose clothes for layering. There is a place for everything!
  • Super stylish. It's a good looking bag, especially with the dome like appearance created by the aqua blue poles. The material is light, resilient and attractive.
Lows

  • Very small. This is a day pack only. There is not a lot of room in the bag outside of the pocketed areas. When I took it on a camping trip I was able to fit my sandals, a shirt, rain pants and some loose gear in it and it was full.
  • High belt. The belt clips around my stomach. It's a small bag so it isn't a problem, just a little awkward at first.
  • Pole endurance. The poles on the outside of the bag are working well, but I am concerned about their longevity. As long as they continue to stay soft and pliable the bag will be fine.
I can't find the Titanium Backpack online anywhere, so I do believe this pack is currently in the test market. I think Bass Pro would do well to add this pack to their line up when it comes out on the market. It's a great pack for day hikes and I think you'll enjoy it.

1 comment: